10. Bruno Mars – Amy Winehouse Tribute (2011)
Because Amy Winehouse.
9. Beyonce – Love On Top (2011)
Because who could have announced a baby better?
8. Usher – Confessions PT. II (2004)
Because he takes off his shirt in the rain and breaks a mirror. Also this song taught us all how to talk to our potential baby mamas, and because Yeah! was EVERYWHERE for way too long.
7. Kanye West – Blood On The Leaves (2013)
Because even though I hate him he has an epic quality, and this is the best.
6. Taylor Swift – You Belong With me (2009)
Because T-Swizzle is the most adorable thing in the universe, and taking this amazing song to the streets of NYC was just the kind of naive life loving shit I need from her. Also because fuck Kanye.
5. Justin Timberlake – My Love (2006)
Because Justin danced for the first few minutes and gave the whole arena a boner. And because then he satisfied with a sexy song and a nice reworking.
4. Beyoncé – Ring The Alarm (2006)
Because she looks fierce, has a cohort of badass bitches dancing behind her, and all of the other great reasons to love Beyoncé performances: voice, ass, energy. Oh and the whole entrapment vibe is kinda cool.
3. Mariah Carey – Shake It Off / Forget About Us (2005)
Because Mariah hardly even moves her lower body during this performances and still blows your mind. Because of that whistle tone at the end. Because her dancers were swimmers.
2. Britney, Xtina, Madonna – Like A Virgin / Hollywood (2003)
Because one of Britney’s best vocal performances still reeks of shit next to Christina’s, and one of Christina’s better looks still screams trash next to Britney’s, and because once Madonna comes out nothing matters, and because Hollywood is a great song. Oh, and there’s the kiss. And Justin Timberlake’s face.
1. Lady Gaga – Paparazzi (2009)
Because this was the moment we all fell in love with her; AKA the most avant garde performance at the VMAs in years, paired with a vocal performance to trump the recordings. And the blood in her eye as she hangs there at the end…that’s commitment.